As dentists in Boise, we feel it’s our duty to answer our patients’ questions about dental treatments and procedures.
With this post, we want to talk about dental implants. Our patients often ask us about implants, wondering if the treatment is right for them. We hope to address all of your questions and concerns, but, if there’s anything we’re missing, we’ll happily address it in a future post.
What are Dental Implants?
Technically speaking, dental implants are artificial tooth roots. Those roots, usually made of titanium, are implanted and then used to support restorations that resemble real teeth– in both function and appearance.
Most implants used by modern dentists are similar to actual tooth roots, and are placed within the bone itself. Today’s dental implants are stronger and more durable than bridges and dentures, and they offer a permanent solution to tooth loss. Dental implants can also be combines with other restorative procedures, resulting in maximum results.
Why Are They Used?
Dental implants are used for patients who are missing one or more teeth.
Dental implants are right for you if missing teeth are:
- Causing pain
- Creating difficulty while chewing food
- Making speech difficult
- Creating discomfort because of dentures
Who Needs Dental Implants?
Implants are effective for patients of any age. If you’re missing one or more teeth due to decay, injury, defects, disease, or any other reason, dental implants are a safe and effective choice.
As with any dental treatment or procedure, you’ll need a plan. Meet with your dentist to figure out how implants can improve your oral health and overall quality of life.
How Long is the Procedure?
The entire procedure usually comes in three phases. If you need a bone graft the first phase will take three to six months.
If no bone graft is needed, placing the artificial root takes around two hours per tooth, and will heal in three to four months.
When it comes time to place the artificial tooth or crown, the procedure takes about two visits within a two week span. Each visit should take less than one hour.
How Long Do Dental Implants Take to Heal?
The length of your healing process depends on the quality of your bone, and upon how many processes are necessary to fully install the implant.
Usually, dental implants take between two to four months before the bone heals completely. In some cases, your healing time will be much shorter, and you should consult with your dentist.
In most cases, though, expect a healing time of two to four months.
Are Dental Implants Painful?
Most patients find the dental implant process less painful than any tooth extraction process. Local anesthesia is usually used, and discomfort is minimal. The minor discomfort you’ll experience after the procedure should subside in a couple of days, and most patients find using ibuprofen is more than effective for any pain they may experience.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants have many benefits, including:
- The closest thing to natural teeth – Dental implants are strong, stable, and closely resemble natural teeth. They function just like teeth, and no one will notice the difference.
- Long-lasting – Dental implants will last much longer than 10 years with proper care and oral hygiene. They are a long-term solution. Built to last. Dental implants are a long-term solution, with 10 year success rates as high as 98%.
- Quality of life – With dental implants, you’ll smile with pride. You won’t have to worry about a painful eating experience, or being embarrassed because of missing teeth in public or social situations. You’ll still have your own smile and natural face shape, to boot. You’ll also be able to speak easily and eat your favorite foods with confidence.
- Protecting healthy bone – Losing teeth can lead to additional health issues and bone loss. Implants stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss.
- No dentures – Implants keep your teeth in your mouth, and you won’t have to worry about all the added care that comes along with dentures.
Dental implants are predictable, reliable, and help protect your healthy teeth. As dentists in Boise, we work with dental implants every day– our patients love the results, and they experience minimal discomforts from the process.
Have specific questions about dental implants? Contact Boise’s favorite dentist for more information!